~ When Kate and Lily wake up they play, chatter, pass binkies back and forth and practice new and not-so-new skills for a while. When I went in to get them after their morning nap yesterday, Lily was sitting in the middle of her crib with her binky in her mouth - a bit dazed from her doze. Kate, however, was laying in her crib watching her hands open and close very intently. After I kissed Lily's head I strolled around the cribs and Kate gave me a big smile facing her opening and closing hands toward me. I said hello to her then she squealed, straightened her arms opening and closing her hands as fast as she could with her eyebrows up and her eyes and mouth wiiide open. I realized she was showing me what she had taught herself so I said "yay Katy!" and did it back to her. She screamed and laughed in delight that I acknowledged her new skill and gave me the biggest hug she's ever given me when I picked her up. Then she pulled back with a big smile and gave me a "love" (which is forehead to forehead and her own little thing she came up with) and hugged me again.
~ Once in a great while, I can clean the kitchen while they play in the living room, surrounded by all of their favorite toys and books. A few days ago I was wiping down the range when I realized it was quiet. Most parents know that usually means trouble of some kind. When I peaked around the corner, I saw my girls both laying on their sides across from each other propped up on their elbows flipping through their respective favorite books. I caught a glimpse of the future with that little scene.
~ Now that Lily is crawling, Kate is highly motivated to do the same and is working double time to get going as fast as Lily. They're like a little ducklings following me around while I do chores.
~ Last week I decided to put pads on the feet of the chairs, so all of us girls turned chairs over and did our first family house project together. While I stuck pads on, our girls slid chairs around, climbed, patted and generally supervised. Kate especially enjoyed it and spends a little time every day working on her chair project.
~ One of their other favorite things to do is laundry. Lily has always liked watching me fold laundry and now she loves to do it herself too. Just like mama and papa, she takes everything out one-ish at a time and flips it around then puts it in a pile on the floor next to her. Now if she'll just learn how to put it all back in, the circle will be complete.
~ Kate's favorite song is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Lily's favorite song is ABC by Jackson 5.
Now, I know most of you probably glazed over with the detail of some of the above stories, but those are the moments as a still relatively new parent that make it all worth while and some of the little things I don't want to forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment